* Cut the sponge cake in slices about 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick.
* Line a round bowl, approximately 7 - 1/2 inches (18 cm) in diameter and approximately 4 - 1/2 inches (11 cm) deep, with plastic wrap.
* Trim the short edges of the cake slices to make them even.
* Line the inside of the bowl with the cake slices.
* Trim the excess portion of the sponge cake.
* Cut the slices in wedges, if necessary to uniformly cover the surface of the bowl in a geometrical design.
* Brush the cake slices with Coitreau.
* Whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla until firm. Add the dark chocolate, almonds, and candied fruit into the whipped cream.
* Combine folding with a gentle round top to bottom motion.
* Transfer half of the cream mixture into the cake.
* Fill the sponge cake with the chocolate cream until completely full.
* Cover the cake with the remaining sponge cake slices.
* Brush on the remaining liquor.
* Cover with a disk of parchment paper.
* Seal tightly with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 3 – 4 hours.
The cake needs to be served cold but not frozen. To test whether the cake is ready for serving, insert a skewer in it to test its softness.
Remove the cake from the freezer, and place in the refrigerator to soften before serving, about 6 – 7 hours.
If the cake is removed from the freezer and kept at room temperature, it will take about 3 hours to be ready for serving.