makes about 2 dozen cookies
* Transfer cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder to a large bowl.
* Mix thoroughly until fully combined. Add the butter.
* Combine the butter, leaving the mixture cool and powdery.
Note: If using a a food processor, place the dry ingredients in the bowl fitted with metal blade, and pulse. Add the butter cut into pieces, and pulse until mixed finely.
* Lightly beat the eggs with the lemon zest and vanilla and add them to the bowl.
* Mix with a spatula until fully combined. Combine the raisin.
* Transfer the crumbly dough to a lightly floured work surface.
* Preheat oven 350 F (175 C).
* Lightly knead the dough to obtain a smooth compound.
* Divide the dough in four equal pieces.
* Roll them into cylinders about one inch diameter. Flatten slightly.
* Cut diagonally at about 1 1/2 inch (4 cm) intervals. Flatten the cookies about 3/8 inch (1 cm) thick, making diamond shapes.
As an alternative....
* Flatten the dough with a rolling pin to about 3/8 inch (1 cm) thick. Cut the cookies in a diamond or round shape.
* Arrange the zaleti on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake for about 15 minutes, until light gold brown color. Cool on racks and dust with the powdered sugar.
* 1 1/2 cups (270 gr) yellow cornmeal
* 1 1/2 (210 gr) cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup (100 gr) sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 12 tablespoon (165 gr) unsalted butter, cold
* 3/4 cup dark raisin
* 2 large eggs
* grated zest of one lemon
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* powder sugar for finishing