* Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
* Butter a round cake pan of about 9 inches (22 cm) in diameter x 2 inches (5 cm) deep. Line the pan with a disk of parchment paper.
* In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the eggs, vanilla, and sugar.
* Beat vigorously with an electric mixer for about 10 – 15 minutes, or until the mixture is very soft and doubled in volume.
* On a bowl or plate, sift the flour, cornstarch, and a pinch of salt together.
* Sift the flour mixture into the beaten eggs.
* Fold the mixture thoroughly with a rubber spatula, 3 – 4 times, mixing gently with a round, top to bottom, movement.
* Pour into the pan. Level with a spatula. Bake for about 30 – 45 minutes, or until golden.
* Remove from the pan turning upside down. Remove parchment paper. Transfer on a rack to cool to room temperature.