* In a saucepan put 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter, and turn heat to medium. When the butter starts foaming add the onion. Sauté until the onion is soft.
* Add rice, stir for about 2 minutes, add salt and pepper.
* Add the wine, and stir for about 2 minutes until absorbed.
* Add asparagus stem and one quarter cup broth. Stir to prevent the rice from sticking to the pan. When the rice begins absorbing the liquid, add more broth.
* Repeat this step of adding the broth and stirring, keeping the rice at the consistency of a dense paste.
* After about 12 minutes add the asparagus spears.
* Continue adding the broth and stirring as indicated above.
* After about 18 minutes add the rest of the butter, parmigiano reggiano cheese, and continue stirring and adding broth. The rice will be ready in about 2 more minutes, when al dente (firm but not too soft or overcooked). Cooking time may vary. Let the risotto set for about 2 minutes. Serve hot.
* 1 lb (450 gr) asparagus
* 5 cups vegetable broth
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 + 2 tablespoons butter
* 4 oz (100 gr) onion, chopped
* 1 1/2 cups (300 gr) arborio rice
* salt and pepper
* 1/2 cup white wine
* 4 - 5 tablespoons parmigiano reggiano cheese, freshly grated