preparing the dough
* Combine in a bowl flour and sugar.
* In a small bowl mix together the water, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pepper, orange zest, baking powder and baking soda.
* Add the water/spices mixture into the flour and mix until a dough starts forming. If the dough is too inconsistent a little more water maybe necessary.
* Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead it until smooth. Avoid working the dough too much or it may toughen.
* Form a ball, cover with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for about one hour. Preheat oven 325 F (175 C).
* Transfer the dough back to a floured working board.
* Flatten with a rolling pin to about 1/4- inch thick, approximately 9” x 12” (22 x 30 cm).
* Using a pizza wheel, cut first in strips about 2 inch wide.
* Then cut diagonally to form rhomboidal shapes.
* Transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake for approximately 30 to 40 minutes, until light golden.
* When ready transfer the mostaccioli to a rack to cool.
preparing the icing
This icing is not traditional Italian, but is very practical. In fact hardens quickly, but stays melt long enough for you to use it. When is dry has a very shiny and smooth patina. If becomes too hard, just add a little bit of water and place it back on the stove until melt again.
* Chop finely the chocolate. In a saucepan bring to a boil the water, sugar and syrup.
* Remove from the stove and combine the chopped chocolate until fully melt.
* Turn the mostaccioli upside down. Using a pastry brush paint with the chocolate the bottom of the mostaccioli. When the chocolate is hard, after about 10 minutes, paint the sides and top of the mostaccioli with abundant chocolate icing and set aside for the chocolate to harden.
for the dough
* 2 cups (280 gr) flour
* 1 cup (200 gr) sugar
* 1/3 cup (80 cc) water
* 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon round cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* grated zest of 1 orange
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
for the icing
* 6 oz (200 gr) semisweet chocolate
* 1/4 cup (60 cc) water
* 1/4 cup (60 cc) corn syrup (light)
* 3/4 cup (150 gr) sugar