* Clean the lentils to remove eventual impurities, wash in fresh water, and drain.
* In a stockpot put approximately 6 cups of water and the dry lentils. Bring to a boil and cook for about 20-30 minutes. When the lentils are tender but still firm, turn the heat off and reserve them in their water.
* In a saucepan put 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and turn heat to medium. Add the garlic and sauté for a few moments. * Add the celery, carrots, and tomatoes, and sauté shortly. Stir frequently.
* Add the lentils with the water used to cook them, and 2 or 3 cups of broth depending how thick the soup is desired.
* Bring to a boil, add salt, and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the pasta and cook for the time indicated by the manufacturer, or taste until firm but not overcooked (al dente).
* Correct salts if necessary, add freshly grated pepper, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, parsley, and serve warm in soup dishes.
* 1/2 lb (250 gr) approximately small dry lentils
* 3 + 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 stick of celery, finely diced
* 4 oz (100 gr) carrots, finely diced
* 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
* 3 cups broth
* 1/4 lb (100 gr) pasta (short ditali or broken spaghetti)
* 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
* salt and freshly grated pepper