Preparing the starter:
* In a small bowl, whisk the yeast into the milk.
* Stir the yeast mixture into the flour.
* Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap, and set aside to rise for about 45 minutes. It should triple in volume.
Preparing the dough:
* When the sponge is ready, in a mixer with a paddle, place butter, salt and sugar. Beat lightly. Add vanilla and beat to combine.
* Add one egg and 1/3 of the flour. Beat to incorporate.
* Continue adding the eggs one at the time, alternating with the flour.
* Beat this compound until smooth.
* At this moment the sponge will be “spongy”, soft and fluffy.
* Add the sponge to the mixer and beat to incorporate until smooth.
* Combine the raisin and candied fruit.
* Transfer the dough to a buttered bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise until double in volume, for about 2 hours.
* When the dough is ready push it with your fist to let the air out.
* Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead it, folding it on itself several times.
* Transfer the dough to a 9 inch buttered spring-form pan. Press the dough lightly toward the edges, to cover the bottom evenly. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and set it aside to rise for about 2 hours. The dough will rise to the edge of the pan.
Preparing the glaze:
* Preheat oven 375 F (190 C). Place the almond and sugar in a food processor and run the blade until very finely ground. * Transfer to a bowl.
* Add corn starch and egg white.
* Stir to combine.
Finishing the cake:
* When the dough is ready pour the glaze on top.
* Spread it evenly on the cake. Don’t press on the surface of the cake to avoid deflating it.
* Spread the sliced almonds on the top.
* Top evenly with powdered sugar.
* Bake for about 50 minutes or until the surface is golden and swollen. Open the side of the pan, running a knife along the edges if necessary. Transfer to a rack to cool. The panettone can be stored wrapped tightly in plastic foil.
for the starter:
* 1/3 cup (80 cc) milk, lukewarm
* 1 envelope (7 gr) active dry yeast
* 1/2 cup (70 gr) all purpose flour
for the dough:
* 6 tablespoons (85 gr) butter, lukewarm
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 oz (60 gr) sugar
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 3 eggs
* 2 cups (280 gr) flour
* 2 oz (60 gr) dark raisin
* 2 oz (60 gr) candied orange
for the glaze:
* 2 oz (60 gr) whole almonds, blanched
* 2 oz (60 gr) sugar
* 1 teaspoon cornstarch
* 1 egg white
* 2 oz (60 gr) almonds, finely sliced
* powdered sugar for dusting