* In a bowl, place the flour in a mound shape with a hole in the center.
* In the center, add the sugar, butter, eggs, pinch of salt, grated lemon rind, milk, vanilla, and rum.
* Using a fork, mix the ingredients together with the flour. Rapidly work the paste with your hands, to form a dough. When the dough becomes consistent, transfer it to a floured work surface.
* Knead the dough for few minutes until smooth, but avoid warming it too much.
* Make the dough smooth and very soft. When it is smooth and consistent, form it into a ball, place on a dish, cover, and keep refrigerated for about 1 hour.
* Divide the dough into 4 pieces. On a work surface generously sprinkled with flour, use a rolling pin to flatten the dough until it is very thin.
* Using a pastry wheel ,cut the dough irregularly into strips 1 x 4 inches (3 x 10 cm) or triangles 4 x 2 inches (10 x 5 cm). Flatten and cut the rest of the dough.
* As an alternative way of cutting the dough: Cut the flattened dough in rectangular shapes, approximately 4 x 2 inches (10 x 5 cm). Cut the center of each piece without reaching the edges. Fold the piece and insert one extremity inside the cut. Pull the edge through the cut to form a bow.
* In a large skillet, bring the oil to frying temperature. Fry the strips a few at a time.
* Transfer the strips on paper towels on a large plate and let the oil drain briefly.
* Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.
* 2 cups (280 gr) flour
* 1/3 cup (70 gr) sugar
* 2 oz (60 gr) butter, diced (at room temperature)
* 2 eggs
* pinch of salt
* grated rind of 1 lemon
* 1/2 cup (120 cc) milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 tablespoon rum
* frying oil
* approximately 3/4 cup (150 gr) powdered sugar, for dusting