* Slice the eggplant lengthwise approximately 1/4” (5 mm) thick
* In a skillet, bring 2 tablespoons of the oil to frying temperature. * Lightly fry the eggplant until golden on both sides.
* Transfer the fried eggplant to a plate lined with kitchen paper, to drain the excess oil.
* In a small skillet, fry half of the bread crumbs with 1 tablespoon of the extra-virgin olive oil, until golden. Set aside.
* In a skillet over medium heat, pour 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Add the onion. Sauté until the onion is soft and translucent.
* Stir in the fried bread crumbs. Transfer to a bowl and cool to lukewarm.
* When the onion is cold, combine the grated pecorino cheese, oregano, and pepper.
* Preheat oven to 370 F (190 C).
* Spread over the bottom of an oven pan 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and a small quantity of the bread crumbs. This will prevent the eggplant rolls from sticking to the pan
* Place the eggplant slices on a work board. On each slice, put 1 tablespoon of the onion mixture one egg wedge and 1 tablespoon of tomato purée.
* Roll the eggplant slices and place the eggplant rolls in the oven pan, side by side in rows.
* Spread on the rolls the remaining tomatoes, the remaining bread crumbs and 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil.
* Bake for about 20 minutes. Serve warm.
* 4 - 5 eggplants
* frying oil
* 4 oz (115 gr) bread crumbs
* 7 - 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 medium white onion, finely diced
* 3 oz (85 gr) pecorino (romano) cheese, freshly grated
* 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
* salt and pepper
* 2 hard-boiled eggs, wedged
* 1/2 lb (225 gr) tomatoes, puréed in a blender