* Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Run the blade a few times to mix.
* Add the butter to the bowl and pulse to combine. Add the eggs, and run the blade until forming a consistent dough.
* Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and wrap in a plastic foil. Place in the refrigerator.
* Place the figs in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil.
* Drain thoroughly and cool to room temperature.
* In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the figs, raisins, candied orange, almonds, chocolate, apricot preserve, rum, cinnamon, and cloves. Pulse the blade until a smooth compound is obtained.
* Transfer the fig paste to a bowl.
* Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
* Prepare the egg wash by beating the eggs with a pinch of salt.
* Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and unwrap it on a floured work surface. Add a small quantity of flour. Knead the dough to make it soft and smooth.
* Cut the dough into 10 – 12 pieces. With the help of a rolling pin, flatten each piece into a rectangle approximately 3 x 15 inch (7 x 35 cm).
* Brush the egg wash on the dough.
* Place approximately 1/3 cup of filling in the center of the rectangle lengthwise.
* Take one edge of the dough and bring it over the filling to form a roll.
* With the palm of your hands roll the cylinder to make it even.
* Cut the roll into 4–5 pieces approximately 3 – 4 inch (8 – 10 cm) long. Set them aside. Continue forming the rolls until all the dough and the filling are used.
* Using a sharp knife, cut 4 – 5 diagonal incisions on the surface of the rolls. You can also cut straight incisions on the surface of the rolls, and curve the cookies in a ”U” shape, or cut the extremities and give the cookies a ”X” shape
* Transfer the rolls to 3 cookie pans lined with parchment paper. * Brush the surface of the buccellati with the remaining egg wash.
* Optionally sprinkle with multicolored nonpareil.
* Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden. Transfer onto racks to cool.
for the dough
* 4 cups (560 gr) flour
* 2/3 cup (150 gr) sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 16 tablespoons (220 gr) butter
* 4 eggs
for the filling
* 12 oz (340 gr) dried figs, finely diced
* 1/2 cup (50 gr) raisins
* 1/2 cup (30 gr) candied orange, diced
* 1/2 cup (50 gr) almonds, finely chopped
* 3 oz (85 gr) semi-sweet chocolate, cut into small dice
* 1/3 cup (100 gr) apricot preserve
* 3 tablespoons dark rum
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
* 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
for the egg wash
* 2 eggs
* pinch of salt
* multicolored nonpareil (optional)