* Preheat oven 370 F (190C).
* Butter a 9 inch (24 cm) non-stick ring form pan, and line with a disk of buttered parchment paper.
* Beat the egg whites until stiff.
* Combine gradually 1/2 cup of sugar.
* In a bowl put the egg yolks and the rest of the sugar.
* Whisk vigorously, then combine lemon rind, lemon juice, orange extract, and pinch of salt.
* Combine carrots, almond. Sift in the corn starch.
* Add part of the egg whites, and mix using a large spoon with a top to bottom movement.
* Repeat until all the egg whites are fully combined.
* Pour the batter into the pan. Level the surface with a spatula.
* Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake will appear to be dry.
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 5 eggs, whites and yolks separated
* 1 cup (180 gr) sugar
* 1 lemon, rind grated and juiced
* 1 teaspoon orange extract
pinch of salt
* 12 oz (350 gr) tender carrots, finely grated
* 1/2 lb (200 gr) almonds, peeled and finely grated
* 3/4 cup (100 gr) corn starch