* Combine the dry ingredients, the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Form a hole in the center.
* Add the vanilla to the 3 eggs, beat lightly, and add them to the flour.
* Mix thoroughly with a spoon or spatula.
* Knead briefly with your hands, first in the bowl and then on a lightly floured surface, until they forming a smooth dough. Set aside the dough for about 2 minutes.
* Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
* Flatten the dough approximately 3/8 inch (1 cm) thick.
* Spread the almonds uniformly on top of the dough
* Fold the dough on itself several times and kneed shortly, until the almonds are uniformly distributed within the dough.
* Prepare the egg wash by beating the egg with a pinch of salt. Brush the egg wash on the dough.
* Bake for approximately 30 minutes, until the surface is golden but the dough is still soft. Remove from the oven; cut in slices diagonally, approximately 3/8 inch (1 cm) thick. * Place the slices back on the pan, and bake for approximately 15 more minutes.
The cookies should be served with sweet Tuscan Vinsanto wine for dipping.
* 2 cup (280 gr) flour
* 2/3 cup (130 gr) sugar
* pinch of salt
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 3 eggs + 1 for egg wash
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 3/4 cup (75 gr) whole almonds